Re: LZ: Thoughts on mass-storage systems

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: Thoughts on mass-storage systems

According to Mel Tsai:
>>BTW: for those familiar with I2C, for an unknown reason the 2KB chip
>>     won't allow any other chips of such make on the I2c bus, it only
>>     responds to address 111 - NO MATTER what.  Doh.
>
>Usually I2C chips have some sort of three pin address on the chip
>itself.  You're probably not connecting those pins and they're
>floating high, meaning that the chip's I2C ident is 111.  Try altering
>those pins and you can get it to respond to different addresses.

All I2C chips have that interface.  The problem is that (for unknown
reasons) NS created the chips so that the most you can have on the bus
at any time is 16Kbits (2KBytes).  They did this by giving all three
pins available on 2Kbit chips, 2 pins on 4Kbits, etc. until the current
largest one, 16Kbits, is hard-coded to id 000.  Doh.

Why would they do something like that, anyway?

BTW, for those few who have built, or are interested in building, the
temperature sensor for the 85 with WS (my new term, "Whatever-Shell"),
I'm finally putting up a page for it for 3 reasons:

        1) No pages for it currently exist.
        2) Both creators (Ed Plese Jr. and Per Finander) haven't been
           heard from in nearly a year now.
        3) The ZIP archive on TICALC.ORG for it is missing the driver.

I'm also in the process of writing a new more-advanced driver for it
anyway ( It can now read from the sensor and return raw-data, Celcius,
and Kelvin, with Fahrenheit and Rankine coming ), so that will also
be worth checking out.  It does actually work, and is precise to
half a degree.  I'll send a note on LZ once I'm finished with the page.
The source code WILL be released to my new driver, as many people have
been requesting lately on the list for help concerning the linkport
and I2C in particular.

Ryan J. Myers ( Webmaster )      rmyers@inetarena.com (ICQ UIN 1473314)
Portland, Oregon ( US )          http://boris.inetarena.com/
"Nolite tes bastardes carborundum." - Margaret Atwood
"C> REALITY.SYS is corrupt, reboot universe? (Y|N)" - Anonymous
The contents of this email are my own opinions and do not represent the
positions of my employers or any of their subsidiaries unless specifically
stated as such.