LZ: Just a few general thoughts

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

LZ: Just a few general thoughts

OK....first are all the talks on shells, libs, and relocation and the
second is all the new ideas of TI-Extras(Expanders, Mouses, Keyboard,
Light Pen, Nuclear Missile Launch Facilities  :) , Modems, and Back
lighting.

I will start with item 2 so you can read the nice stuff first.

    The Expander projects that are out there all should get together and
develop a way to use a PCMCIA Solid State hard drives (ok this might be
over kill) or at the least they should develop a microcontroller based
expander because the way the memory chips are now you really need a good
stable way to port data on and off the calc.  The 64Mbit or 8M (same
thing) would be great because then sizes for shells really don't matter
any more because you can store every ZShell, Usgard, CShell, OS-85,
blah..... game ever made and a copy of each of the shells.  A calc with
8,028,000 bytes of ram is fine... If you want a full blown GUI OS then go
right ahead SPACE DOESN'T MATTER SO WHO CARES!!!  Side note: could you
make and expanders that would use RS232 protocol???? (The solution is
over half way finished between everyone on this list....just trust me on
this one)

    The Mouse, Keyboard, and Light Pen are all a great set of ideas.
(period)  The actual implementation of all of them will be a bit of a
trick to do all at once but the microcontroller idea it the best solution
that has been spoken so far.  KEEP UP THE GOOD IDEAS!!!

   Nuclear Missile Launch Facilities are a nice thing to have at your
command but there are 2 problems.  One,  getting accurate targeting
systems into 28k of space will be difficult but not impossible.  Two,  a
microcontroller would have to be used in and attempts at leveling the
majority of the eastern United States.  Also wouldn't a Nuclear Missile
Launch Base get heavy after a day of carrying it at school? ;-)

  The modem idea is great but I can't find a 9600 baud modem any where
nor do I really want to buy one after I already have a 14.4 at home that
works find.  The idea has merit and I would enjoy having one but I is a
slight pain to set up and get working and all.

   Back Lighting....now you can use your calc in the dark or you could
just turn on a light bulb....nuff said! :)

Now for the first item:
      Shells:  Now there are multiple "levels" or shells to choose from
your most basic ZShell to an improvement equaling CShell and CShell with
libs and relocation is Usgard(plus other feature that I don't need to
worry about).  What should be done is that CShell should have 2 versions
the first has power down and contrast support and the second has the same
plus relocation also a version of Usgard without libs but still having
all other features should be made and the current version of Usgard
should just continue in development.  As far as I care ZShell is dead....
it died to CShell not Usgard or any thing else.  CShell was designed to
give the simple features that ZShell didn't have with the same basic
interface.  In effect the lowest level shell, CShell basic version,
(please take no offence to this Keith (or the write of CShell if I am
wrong)) is now the new base line and games are very large and slow at
this level (I don't want to here one darn flame about details like this,
flame the entire content of this message not one unimportant sentence).
CShell with relocation cuts down on games size and improves game speed.
Usgard basic version you have the flexibility of different Shells with
the speed and size reduction of the CShell w/ relocation.  Finally you
would have Usgard as it is today.  Thus you get a nice rounded selection
of shells to use.

1)CShell, basic edition-1
2)CShell w/ relocation-1,2
3)Usgard without libs-1,2,3
4)Usgard as it is now-1,2,3,4

How to read my crazy logic

#) <--Index     {Shells name + description}  #,#,#,# <---compatible
shells

If you are good with the mem on your calc and know what variables are
what you could use 4 (see above) and you could use any game ever made for
the calc or you might not care much so you only use 2 (see above).
EVERYONE CAN DO WHAT THEY WANT.

The largest problem with the selection of shells is that 2 and 3 on my
list above don't exist so for people who want 2 or 3 they are stuck using
1 or 4 (The jump from ZShell to Usgard is huge and will not be simple for
people that just use their calcs for games only.

This is just a short list of my ideas about what I have read today (or
the last 51 messages).

-GreenLazer@juno.com
-     (Formerly know as Chief28933@aol.com)
-          "I hate a Roman named Status Quo."  -Ray Bradbury
-               Thank you for your time that I have just wasted!

P.S. The writer of CShell and Usgard should work together on the 2 and 3
of my list above or they could develop a half way shell (a combo of 2 and
3) for people who want a larger selection of games but not half to worry
about libs just yet.