RE: A85: Expander SF

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: A85: Expander SF

Robby Gutmann wrote:

> I was thinking about buying one of Mel's chips if there were any left
> and
> building an Expander.  But, i wanted to know peoples' opinions on how
> easy
> it was; i am not exactly the greatest builder of things.  I spent a
> saturday
> trying to build parallel link cables, and i ended up with 3 finished
> products, and not a 1 of them working.  So, if you could tell me
> whether or
> not you think I can do it, i would appreciate it.
> thanx,
> Robby Gutmann

[Jan Zumwalt]  I just went through the same experience and found out that
the problems is the 2.5mm jack used by TI MUST have a smooth barrel. The
common ones available at Radio Shack have a detent that helps hold the jack
in but WILL NOT MAKE CONTACT in the TI female socket. The TI female just uses
raised bumps in the barrel for contacts while the walkman style has metal
fingers that project down.

I ended up cutting my TI link cord in half and splicing onto it. I am now
going to look in Newark or Allied for the proper jack. If I find the, I will
order two dozen or so for other people.

-----------                        _  _   TI contact
   |   |   >  TI style jack         \/

---

Is compact expansion memory available for the TI-85?
Warning