Re: A85: Problem assembling 18K file with TASM

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

On Sun, 17 Aug 1997, John Koch wrote:

> I haven't ever wrote a game that large, but I have assembled them, I
> don't think I got that error, I don't remember, but I do know that
> Jezzball is only around 3000 bytes, plus 36000 wouldn't fit on teh
> calculator!  Just wondering if you made a mistake?
>
> John

The source code is *MUCH* larger than the actual compiled program. For
example, a line like this in the source code would use 49 bytes:
  add hl,de     ; add the two registers together
But after it gets compiled, that line takes about 2-4 (I don't remember
for sure) bytes. So the source was up to 25 times larger than the end
result. This is because during compilation, all comments and labels are
dropped. Only the actual instructions make it through, and they're often
shrunk from about ten bytes to two or three.

--
Greg Hill
greg-hill@bigfoot.com

Follow-Ups: References: