From:	IN%"assembly-85@lists.ticalc.org" 13-AUG-1997 18:51:47.85
To:	IN%"assembly-85@lists.ticalc.org"
CC:
Subj:	RE: A85: My problem with libraries

Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 18:32:26 -0700
From: mozart@technologist.com
Subject: Re: A85: My problem with libraries
Sender: owner-assembly-85@lists.ticalc.org
To: assembly-85@lists.ticalc.org
 <33F2488F.457@technologist.com> <33F24C38.AC61E162@jhs.net>

Ben Shakal wrote:

> mozart@technologist.com wrote:
> >
> > 82nd Deer wrote:
> > > You could make a 100-200 byte shell that would simply let you input the
> > > name of the program to run.
> >
> > You could save even more space by just having the user recall the
> > variable (in the homescreen), then check if Ans was an ASM string, and
> > (if so), run it.  Anybody want a 200 Byte OS?
>
> Actually, I'm afraid this wouldn't be that useful, because when you
> recall something (into Ans), the calc makes a copy of it.  So you will
> always need to have at least as much free mem as the size of the prog,
> space which could have just as easily been filled with a bigger shell.
> Wait a minute... you could do something like that, have  a shell with no
> UI, and have a string, say RunThis or something, and you store the name
> of the prog you want to run into that string, then start the shell (from
> the custom menu as usual).  It could just go look for that string, then
> check what is in it, then run that prog, if it exists.  So maybe you
> could still do a 200 byte OS! :)
> --
> Ben Shakal

Actually, I had a better idea shortly after I wrote that message...
(Sorry, I know that this would be more appropriate to the Shell
Developers list, but nothing seems to get done there):

Have the user type in the name of the program in the TI-OS homescreen in
the Upper Left corner, then run the shell... The shell reads that info,
and
searches for that string (using the rst rom functions..).  If such a
program exists, then it runs it... Little bit larger, but...

--
* ~mozart <mozart@technologist.com> *