A85: A solution to the library dilemma?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A85: A solution to the library dilemma?

Before you flame me on this, it's just a suggestion; I don't know how much
space a Usgard library takes in addition to the actual code, or how much
bigger a program gets for including libraries.

The idea is that a library should contain as few functions as possible. We
shouldn't have one library that handles sprites, but rather several smaller
libraries, one for each function. So if you don't need transparency, just
don't include it, and we save maybe a 100 bytes of otherwise unused code.

*Very* similar functions, like pixel on and pixel off, should still be in
one library.

This way it would be much easier to update separate functions, or to
replace one function with your own. Thousands of small new libraries would
be released. Therefore we would need some kind of control - the different
versions must be made fully compatible and any additions must be released
directly.

Eventually, the smallest/fastest version of the separate functions would
win. You can look at it like sort of a contest. :)

Niklas Brunlid (e96nbr@efd.lth.se or nma95nbr@student1.lu.se)
PQF Quote follows:

It became apparent that one reason why the Ice Giants were known as the Ice
Giants was because they were, well, giants. The other was that they were made
of ice.
        -- (Terry Pratchett, Sourcery)