Re: A85: Ram OS-new OS for 85

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A85: Ram OS-new OS for 85

Well I'm intereseted. Will such a shell with all these features even
fit in 28k though? And as for the rest of you features, text editing
ever use MemMess to change a string (type 12) to a program (type 18)
? This is an easy way to load a file into the builtin program editior
for text editing and some small debugging. (plus MemMess can update
the checksum if you go editing zshell files ;) The compiler on the
calc sounds interesting, but I remeber that idea failed before,
mainly due to the fact it was large & done in ti-basic. I'm not even
sure if a compiler on the 85 is worth it; I myself don't like the
idea of having the whole asm for a program as complex as LodeRunner
on my calc because the asm file takes up more than 28k on my pc. I
suppose you could store it as an object file instead of ascii but
even that would have problems like when you compiled it, would it make
another copy of the string?

I'll offer to help if you do run into difficulty and i suggest you use
a new version of MemMess to load the shell on the 85 while you are
debugging it; because it's alot easier to do that from the ti rather
than trying to hex edit the backup files and fix the checksums. I hope
you make whatever debuggers and whatever else run from PhatOS. :-)

Mike Baker
mbm00@hotmail.com

Matt Butch wrote:

> I understand your concerns about the multitasking part, but I have it
> all planned out and I am certain it will work, including the data
> storage part.  I will release how I did it when it is released.  As for
> PhatOS being small and simple, that's fine, but as I stated I am making
> this for people who want some good features.  If nobody uses Ram OS, I

 Are you implying that PhatOS doesn't have good features?

> don't care.  I'll be content using it myself.  BTW, I am well versed in
> Z80 asm language and I will get this to work(in as small as possible).
> But thanks for your input.

Really? I'd like to see some programs you've written
(I myself have written alot of misc junk, MemMess & PhatOS with alot
help
from Martin Hock)

> More info I left out:
> I will also develop a on calc compiler: The ROS(Ram OS) Integrated
> Development Enviroment(RIDE).  It will have:
>
> -Text Editor

MemMess does that

> -Asembler
> -Disasembler

MemMess can do abit of editing

> -Debuger:this will be an emulation-type of debugger, this way the calc
> will never crash because none of the code is acually being executed.
>
> It will also be able to assemble Usgard, PhatOS, ZShell, and CShell
> files.

wow you gonna put the header files for all these shells in your
Compiler?