A85: Ram OS-new OS for 85

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A85: Ram OS-new OS for 85

I am currently developing a new OS for the TI-85: RAM OS.  Some of its
features:

-Multitasking
-Multithreading
-Compatable with the following shells/OS's:Usgard, PhatOS, CShell, and
   ZShell.
-LCARS(Library Comuter Access and Retrieval System) format for OS,
   or available Windows or MacOS -like style.
-Greyscale 4(maybe later with 8) native-LCARS is displayed in Grey4
-The Tiger Media Layer.  This is what runs all the screen routines.
-Extensions/Control Panels

Now for some indepth info.
 Multitasking- running more than one program at a time, with one prgm
being displayed the rest running in the backround. All current and
furture programs will be able to multitask
 Multithreading- Running different parts, applets, or threads which are
independant in a program at the same time.  Programs will have to take
advantage of this, but it is very simple to set up.
 Compatability- This will be handled by the Shell Compatability
Enviroment.  All ROM calls of a shell/OS will be stored in a seperate
string.  So if you never run any CShell programs, just get trash the
CShell SCE file and save memory.  Same goes for the rest of the
shell/OS's.
 LCARS Interface-  I like the design of it, from Star Trek, so I decided
use this as my interface.  There will be the option for a
Windows/MacOS-like interface as well as a menu system similar to
ZShell's.  Although, Programs can take advantage of the LCARS or Win/Mac
interface. See the Tiger part for more info.
Greyscale native- For now the LCARS and Win/Mac interface is displayed 4
shades of grey, with 8 maybe in a later version or extension.
 Tiger Media Layer(TML)- This is what handles all LCD funtions.  It only
displayes the current program's screen.  It puts the other programs'
screen in a buffer.  It supports standard pictures, ZCP, GCP, and a new
format TGR-which is a movie format.
Extensions/Control Panels- Like in the MacOS, extensions add other
functions and features to the OS, and Control Panels are like extensions
but are custimizable.  Note:  I'm not sure if I will have these.  I
haven't decided yet, but I thought I put it in here anyway. Also they
may or may not be called by this names, if anybody has any ideas about
what they could be called e-mail me.

This is what is planned for it.  So far it is only 10% done.  I hope to
have a beta out by the end of the month, hopefully sooner.  It won't be
compatable with anything yet(except maybe ZShell.  I not sure if I will
have compatabilty built in, no SCE file).  This will give a preview of
it and give programmers time to learn it and start programming.  (Note:
any prgms for RAM OS won't run on any other shell/OS.  In the future, I
may port over the TML to the rest of the systems, since that is the only
new feature in RAM OS.  But that won't happen untill I finish Ram OS.)

To the programmers of Usgard, PhatOS, and CShell: First, I want to make
one thing clear: I am not trying to get everybody to use my OS.  I just
want to provide an alternative for people who want to use programs from
different shells/OS's on their calc.  So I would like you to either
program a SCE for your shell/OS, or give me all the ROM calls that I
would need to make one my self.  If you won't support it, I will have to
clone it.

Thanks
Matt Butch
mjb25@hotmail.com
"You'll Never Walk Alone!"-Melanie Jayne Chisholm aka Sporty Spice