Re: A85: Pinball Routine

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A85: Pinball Routine

82nd Deer wrote:

> If someone had all of those, there'd already be a Pinball game...  That's
> practically 90% of the work.  To my knowledge there isn't anything like
> that out there, gonna have to make it yourself.

Not true. Ballistics routines are simple. When I was programming for TI-BASIC
(don't laugh), I had made ballistic games, and breakout games. Combining the
algorithms would give you a pinball game. I don't have the BASIC source
anymore, but I vaguely remember the routines.

Breakout routine:
You need two variables, Xspeed and YSpeed. Each time the ball hits a
horizontal bar, negate the YSpeed. Each time the ball hits a vertical bar
negate the XSpeed.
There should be a main loop; Each loop check for collisions, then add the
XSpeed to the Xcoordinate, ditto for Y. Notice that X and Y should ALWAYS be
1,0, or -1

Ballistic (Gravity) routine:
Same variables. Also have an upwards momentum counter. Each loop, if
momentum!=0 and YSpeed>0 increment it, and decrement momentum. Otherwise,
decrement YSpeed.  X should always be 1,0, or -1. Each loop, add Xspeed to
the X coord, ditto for the Y's.

Change the routines around to fit your game. Of course, it is harder to do it
in assembly, but more importantly MUCH FASTER.

--
Terry Peng
email-	tpeng@geocities.com

Follow-Ups: References: