Re: LZ: Re: $4 serial link prob

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: Re: $4 serial link prob

On Sun, 29 Sep 1996 crusader@mo.net wrote:

> > Hey, you get what you pay for. you spent $4, i spent $50. look at the
> > numbers and, if your **REALLY** confused, just make this proggy on your calc.
>
> Yeah, I spent 4$, which is 8% of the 50 you spent for yours.  And mine
> works just as good as yours, and is easier to fix if it gets broken.

The $4 link can usually be made for less, if you have dead radios or
something kicking around you can cannibalize them for parts.

> > NO NO NO!!! WAIT. DON'T EVEN START MAKING THAT PROGRAM!!!
> > i'll make it. send it through my $50 worth of pc<--->calc linking
> > capabilities and you can run in through your $4 worth of phone wires,
> > 2.5mm sanded plugs and duct tape
>
> Let's clarify the description of my well-made 4 buck link.  Phone wires?
> No.  Genuine TI plug and cable, yes.  2.5mm sanded plug, obviously no.
> Duct tape, no.  Quality soldering work, yes.  I have a feeling you're
> just mad because you tried to build a 4 buck link with phone wires, 2.5mm
> sanded plugs, and duct tape and it didn't work.  That's a BIG surprise.
> Especially if you don't know what a zener diode is.

I strongly suspect Mr. Haninger is just upset because he went out and
spent $50 on his link and is now trying to justify to himself the
expense of such a beast when a comparable product is available for
a sinfully small fraction of the price.

dreamer