Re: LZ: Link info.

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: Link info.

On Mon, 23 Sep 1996, Max Mansour wrote:

> > From: barrym <barrym@neosoft.com>
> >
> > On Mon, 23 Sep 1996, Will Stokes (3D Diamond productions / Global Games)
> wrote:
> >
> > > Huh?? I got an adapter two days ago from Radio Shack and it works fine
> > > WITHOUT FILING DOWN THE PIN OR THE PLASTIC. What are you people talking
> > > about?
> >
> > They're probably talking about the kind of quality control
> > that Tandy is so famous for.  I sometimes think their motto
> > is "It's good enough for our customers".
>
> Although Tandy doesn't have/make the greatest products, The Z-7000 "Zoomer"
> PDA is/was a great palmtop (especially for the price!), and, Computer
> City's 30 day return policy is really useful when I need something for a
> few days, but don't want to buy it ;)

I have a Zoomer but I'm not real fond of it.  However, I do
agree with you in general.  Tandy makes some excellent products.
But they also make some garbage and you can't always tell the
difference until it's too late.

Their problem is quality control, not quality.  I recently bought
a small mini-boombox from them and it's great.  I shopped a while
and found what I thought was the best one at Radio Shack.  I also
use their Hi-Cap nicads which are the best nicads on the market.

But in dealing with Tandy over the years Ive seen them do some
really rotten things.  They have no concience where marketing
is concerned or where using low grade parts is concerned.  I once
interviewed with a chip importer who explained that his business
was buying chips and testing them to higher standards than the
manufacturers do, and selling these high-grade chips to Compaq and
IBM.  The rest, the bottom of the line chips, were sold to Tandy,
he said, at a greatly reduced price.  He said this was a very
competitive area because Tandy bought huge quantities of second
grade chips and there were a lot of people willing to supply them.

Then again, I don't think there's another company that goes as
far out of their way to keep documentation and replacement disks
for old systems as Tandy does.

And, you're right about their customer service situation.  They're
the easiest people in town to do business with.  They're great at
things like that.

But I would never take advantage of that to get temporary use of
their stuff.  Somehow that seems self-defeating.  If people do
that it'll just force Tandy to stop offering those incentives.

A good example of this is Computer City's former software return
policy.  They let you return software within 30 days when they
first opened.  They got ripped off so much so obviously they
just shut that policy down and now we can't try out their
software to see if they like it.  Like I say, self defeating.

Barry