Re: LZ: Floppy Drive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: Floppy Drive

On Mon, 23 Sep 1996, Max Mansour wrote:

> Hey Barry, just curious, but what do you do (work-wise)?  I've noticed from
> your posts that you have umpteen high-end calcs (you don't have to answer,
> if you think it's too personal, I'm just curious).  Most people on this
> list (high schoolers, college) can't afford 2 85s, 2 83s, a 48 + RAM cards,
> etc (although I have 2 85s, a HP95lx, a MP130, and I might get a WinCE HPC,
> after I take a look at them at Comdex this year...).

I'm a senior systems analyst for a mutual fund holding
company.  I make a fairly decent salary, nothing to brag
about, and I'm single, my car is paid for,  I live in a
reasonably priced apartment and I wear shoddy clothes,
so I can afford a few gadgets.  Not as many as I'd like
but then, who can.

When I was in high school (1953+) calculators didn't exist.
There was no such thing.  There were a few mechanical hand
held devices that could do arithmetic, and you could buy
an abacus in some of the toy stores, but that's about it.

If there had been calculators in those days, I wouldn't have
been able to buy one.  My family was POOR.  So I do know what
youre talking about.  I wanted an abacus but couldn't afford
one.  I think they were 2 or 3 dollars.

But now I'm not poor.  Well, not too poor.  There's lots of
stuff I can't do.  I'd really love to buy Microsoft, for
example, so I can get an early look at Pegasus.

Barry