Re: LZ: Floppy Drive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: Floppy Drive

On Sun, 22 Sep 1996, Mel Tsai wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Sep 1996 17:33:36 -0500 (CDT), you wrote:
> >If I'm not mistaken the floppy for the 48 is called Drive 95 and
> >was developed for the 95lx.  It has a serial interface and is an
> >intelligent device that gives you directory listings and you can
> >give it a file and a name and it saves it for you or retrieves by
> >name.
> >
> >I've never actually seen one but I've seen them discussed a little
> >on the palmtop sig on CIS.  They've never been real popular because
> >their slow and fairly expesive and most people just save to a pc.
> >I think they're 2 or 3 hundred dollars.
> >

> That's interesting, because EVERYTHING for the '48 series is way
> overpriced.  I used to have one, and I promptly returned it and got a
> TI-92 :-).

A lot of people have a problem learning how to use the 48.
Those who can, do.  Those who can't get a 92.  :)

> I don't see why anyone would spend that much for the
> drive, because you can get the HP SRAM cards for half that much and
> they're ten times faster and smaller.

Different people have different needs.  A floppy drive lets
you expand for the price of a disk.  There is more good software
available for the 48 than you can get on 10 1 meg cards.  Also a
few people have to process large amounts of data with their 48.

> Does the drive hook to the serial port or to the main card slot?  If
> it connects to the 4 pin serial port then it's probably possible to
> use it.

It does connect to the serial port.

Barry