Re: LZ: I think I have a definite plan for memory... I think...

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

list-zshell@lists.ticalc.org wrote:

> Hello all again...
>
> I've decided not to pursue tape recording because it's too error-prone and
> microwire because it's too much of a pain to expand IO from link ports
> unless you use I2C IO expanders, which don't work too well for these purposes.
>
> In the end, I'm going to just try using EEPROM's with I2C built into them.
> The schematics I have now ( testing as soon as the last chip arrives ) will
> give me 16KBytes extra... do we really need 1MB?  And it'd be slow as hell
> to access one byte out of 1MB on 2 wires, even 500KBytes, PC's need 72 wires
> to do 2MB :)
>
> So, as soon as I finish testing the EEPROMs ( the ZS program is half-written
> as well ), I will release the schematics online.  I'm using 16KBit EEPROMS
> from National with I2C support ( 16KBit * 8 chips max per bus = 16KBytes )

Um, take a look at those data sheets again. I believe that it said the
max memory for the i2c bus was 16k-bits (dont quote me though)...

I think it uses to chip address bits to determine the memory address
with the 16k one, so your limited to two 2k-bytes, if that is so, dont
even bother

Microwire is the way to go, consider theyve got a 500k-byte chip.