Re: LZ: Re: RAM I/O Expander

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: Re: RAM I/O Expander

> Date:          Sat, 14 Sep 1996 11:04:48 -0400 (EDT)
> From:          Bill Roehl <bimr@icontech.com>
> To:            greg <gregb@serv01.net-link.net>
> Cc:            list-zshell@lists.ticalc.org
> Subject:       Re: LZ: Re: RAM I/O Expander

> -*-calculating if we could add 8 megs of memory and a modem. Even if it did go
> -*-at 300 bytes per sec, why do you need all that speed?? If you keep all the
> -*-needed progs in the TI memory, then it won't matter. I would just use the
> -*-expansion for backup and stuff like that. Even at 300 bytes per sec, it
> -*-would still be relatively quick considering that most of the programs are
> -*-only about 3k any ways. So anyways, lets see if it works, then critique it,
> -*-not critique it before we see it.
>
> 	I heard that the Z80 can only handle like 128k and no more or
> something, maybe I was thinking about only 32k at a time...  But 8mb?
> Wow, we could run OS/2 on the calculator :) :) :)

Actually, I think the Z80 processor can only directly handle 64k of
RAM/ROM (which is why the ROM has multiple pages).  The 8mb of
memory (or 32k/ 64k/128k/256k/512k/1mb/2mb/4mb or whatever) will act
somewhat like a hard disk.  Programs cannot be run directly from it,
they must be copied to memory first,  and data must be read or
written a byte at a time.

Ben
shakal@ns.net

Follow-Ups: References: