Re: LZ: Compression program (and questions for asm programmers)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

At 04:06 PM 9/12/96 -0400, you wrote:
>On Wed, 11 Sep 1996, Alan Bailey wrote:
>
>> > Thanks for the help, though.  How about creating and deleting variables?
>> > Plus I would need to somehow pass information along to the program I call.
>> Creating and deleting is somewhat impossible right now, unless someone
>> finds the routine in ROM.  Creating would be easier than deleting,
>[snip]
>
>Wait...  We don't have to make a variable, just find some free space.  All we
>have to to is make the user make a blank string variable that is the size of
>the biggest program on his/her calc uncompressed.  We do an RST 10 or whatever,
>and write there, call the program.  Then, maybe overwrite it with zeros.

I guess that would work.  In fact, that would save us the trouble of
checking for space.  But wait, we can't do that.  The compression program
will work on one string at a time.  How ill it know what is on the
calculator?  I am sure that there is a pointer somewhere that has the free
space, and then we just substract that from the total amount of memory $FFFF
or something, and voila.

--	Scott Rein
	srein@rain.org