Re: LZ: Compression program (and quest

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: Compression program (and quest

----------
> From: SAM STAUFFER <sam.stauffer@aquila.com>
> To: list-zshell@lists.ticalc.org
> Subject: Re: LZ: Compression program (and quest
> Date: Wednesday, September 11, 1996 4:49 PM
>
> -> >This method is known as the Lempel-Ziv algorithm.
> ->
> -> That is interesting, thanks.  But how efficient is that with data
> -> files that are more random?
>
> It's patended.

I don't think it is patented anymore.  It was invented in 1977 which was 19
years ago.  The patent therfore expired a couple years ago.  It is now
public domain.  However, I am rethinking and I thought that for  ZCompress
or whatever the name will be, a arithmetic compression algorithm would work
best.  Although slow, it provides for excellent compression, which is the
main reason for the compressor.

Mike

Follow-Ups: References: