Re: LZ: New idea for compression program!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: New idea for compression program!

>seems to me that even with that method you will need to change PROGRAM_ADDR.
>This is because the decompressed program will be run from a different place
>in memory than the original self-extracting program (this might be different
>with yours).  Therefore the new, temporary, decompressed program will only
>be able to access those variables that remain uncompressed in the actual
>compressed string.  I think (but again, I'm not sure) that you will need to
>update PROGRAM_ADDR to point to the beginning of the temporary string in
>memory, unless you can get ZShell to do this for you.  Just out of
>curiosity, what happens if you run a Caves or Scrolls level when you don't
>have the engine?  I suppose the compressed programs can do whatever those
>levels do in that case.

The levels say you need CENGINE or SENGINE.  Same idea.  Anybody know how I
can contact the author of those two programs?  I guess I am too lazy to look
through their docs for an address.  :-)

I see what you mean about the PROGRAM_ADDR.  I see!  Yes, I just figured it
out.  The variables are based on an offset from PROGRAM_ADDR.  Okay.  If we
call the programs, though, won't ZShell automatically update it?  As for
high scores and stuff, as people keep talking about, that can come in a
later version.

--	Scott Rein
	srein@rain.org