Re: LZ: New idea for compression program!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

On Mon, 9 Sep 1996, Tony Lieuallen wrote:

> A better (?) way would be to make the decompressor run from ZShell, and have
> the identifier byte that ZShell uses be different than that one, so the
> decompressor knows that's what these strings are.  Now, this program would find
> all compressed strings, and display them like ZShell.  It would be able to use
> a multi-column format, since you would not get the description like in ZShell.
> This program will simply decompress the string to a temporary one, and run it.
> We should try to do this fast, and then work out what to do with saved games
> and highscores, because it sounds like the best way is to change the way the
> program works.  So, if we release the compression stuff, and very few people
> end up using it, then the programmers do not have to worry about it.  If many
> people start to use it, then maybe it will be added into ZShell, and all games
> that wish to use compression (All of them I hope) will be changed to work with
> the new ZShell (5.0?) like what happened with 4.0!

Do it right the first time because if you don't you won't
have a second chance.  You cant release a program and then
change it after other people have written stuff for it.

The way to do it is getit right first, then release it. If
you made this suggestion in a project meeting where I work
you'd be fired if they took you seriously.  But you'd have
a hard time getting them to think you were serious.

Barry