Re: LZ: Compression program

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: Compression program

On Sat, 7 Sep 1996, Scott J. Rein wrote:

> >about the loss of highscores...
> >what if it went this way?
> >
> >1.uncompress
> >2.run
> >3.copy the highscores to a separate var.
> >4.delete uncompressed
> >5.somehow edit the compressed file(and add the highscores)
> >6.when the zipped has been highscore edited, delete the high score vars
> >7.return to zshell menu
> >
> >this might not be possible and also there would have to be a standard
> >highscore keeper. it also might take a while but, if it's possible, it
> >might be nice.
>
> Actually it might not be too hard if the decompression program searches
> for any new variables and simply compresses them back into the archive.
> Unfortunately, for this or any other way of keeping high scores, the
> compression algorithm must be on the calculator.

You could write the compressor so that it leaves the first
10 bytes of the program alone.  The first 2 or 3 bytes of a
program would have to be a jump, but after that you would
have room for high scores.  I'm just picking the number 10
out of the air.  That would allow 7 or 8 bytes that could
be modified.  Enough for high score and level for one person.

Barry