Re: LZ: Compression program

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: Compression program

On Sat, 7 Sep 1996, Tony Lieuallen wrote:

> On Sat, 7 Sep 1996 Raven906@aol.com wrote:
>
> > Here's my two cents on the compression thread.
> > I think that something like this should be implemented in ZShell. Bear with
> > me:
> > The authors assemble their program, get it to run, then compress it and
> > upload it to all the ZShell libraries.
> > Got me so far?
> > Now, you take the files and transmit them to your calculator. ZShell looks
> > for them and displays them in menu format, like usual.
> > Now, when you press enter to run a ZShell program, ZShell automatically
> > decompresses and deletes. Then it runs the program. When you exit back to
> > ZShell, it recompresses it.
> > Does that work?
>
> The better way (space wise) would be for it to uncompress, run, delete
> uncompressed.  That way it doesn't have to have the compression code on the
> calc too.  Also, this way it will go faster.  The only disadvantage is loss of
> highscores.
>
>                               The nice thing about Windows is that it does
> Tony Lieuallen                     not just crash...  It displays a dialog
> marvin@mars.superlink.net               box and lets you press 'OK' first.
> http://mars.superlink.net/marvin/home
> http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Park/1171/

about the loss of highscores...
what if it went this way?

1.uncompress
2.run
3.copy the highscores to a separate var.
4.delete uncompressed
5.somehow edit the compressed file(and add the highscores)
6.when the zipped has been highscore edited, delete the high score vars
7.return to zshell menu

this might not be possible and also there would have to be a standard
highscore keeper. it also might take a while but, if it's possible, it
might be nice.

Andy Haninger
aka &y
ahaning@freenet.columbus.oh.us