Re: LZ: Compression program

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: Compression program

On Thu, 5 Sep 1996 AlanBailey@aol.com wrote:

> To see if it's worth doing, I have two questions.  What's the approximate
> size of the unzipper on the calc(assuming the zipper is on the
> computer)?...and what would be the approximate compression ratio?  I haven't
> been paying too much attention to this thread, but I saw somewhere a 46%,
> which would be pretty good.

Somewhere I have source for a compression program and a seperate
decompresson program that are about 1.2 or 1.4k each.  I remember
trying them out on text files and getting very good compresion
but I dont remember the numbers.  Of course program files will
compress less than text files, being more random.

I just took a quick look for those programs but I don't know
where they are.  I probably have them somewhere but there are
a lot of programs like this around both for the Z80 and the
8086.  Mine are 8086.  If I find it I'll do some compressing
and let you know what kind of results I get.  If I don't,
you won't have any problem finding samples if you look.

Barry