Re: LZ: a zipping utility

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: a zipping utility

On Wed, 4 Sep 1996, Tony Lieuallen wrote:

> > i personally think that a zipping program on the ti-85 is a bad idea. my
> [snip]
> I used to think that, but take this example.  I have around 26k of ZShell
> programs on my calc.  A compression ratio of only 25% would mean I save 6.5k
> I can now use the extra memory on my calc to make TI-BASIC programs have enough
> space to run.  Also, adding compression for TI-B programs would be great (The
> final output would be stored as a string, right?) because I have TI-B programs
> that I need to keep, but don't use very often.
> I belive that the only way to decide if a 'zip' program will work is to have
> someone make it.  Also, it may have better effects for some people.

Update:  I checked something out and if we can get an algorithm as good as zip,
then we can get about 46% compression.  I have a big zip of a lot of .85s and
.85g files, that has an average compression of that.  That would make a savings
of about 12k in the above example.

                              The nice thing about Windows is that it does
Tony Lieuallen                     not just crash...  It displays a dialog
marvin@mars.superlink.net               box and lets you press 'OK' first.
http://mars.superlink.net/marvin/home