Re: LZ: a zipping utility

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: a zipping utility

On Sat, 31 Aug 1996, Scott J. Rein wrote:

> Now that would be cool.  In fact, it makes a lot of sense, and probably
> wouldn't be that hard.  I mean, with a little knowledge of compression, you
> should be able to read in a program's string and compress it into another
> string.
>
> The only problem with this, is the temporary space required to compress it
> (you would be making a second copy of the same program!).

It has been discussed before, and decided that between the size for the
decompression program, and then the space you would have to keep free for the
program to uncompress into that it would be way more work than it's worth.
Personally I agree, but anyone that can program ZShell, do it.  I'd love to be
proven wrong.

                              The nice thing about Windows is that it does
Tony Lieuallen                     not just crash...  It displays a dialog
marvin@mars.superlink.net               box and lets you press 'OK' first.
http://mars.superlink.net/marvin/home