Re: LZ: here is an Idea.....

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: here is an Idea.....

Nate Godin wrote:

> At 15:03 10-25-96 -0800, you wrote:
> >This sounds like a great idea, although I agree with the rest of the
> >list about typing in names of programs.  But I have an idea that might
> >be usefull for calcs with the RAM expander.  Since the RAM expander can
> >hold litteraly hundreds of programs, we have to figure out a better way
> >of managing files.  How about a hierartical (spell?) OS halfway between
> >DOS and Mac.  You could use the arrows to scroll through folders and
> >files in one level of hierarchy and then press enter at a folder to go
> >into a deeper level.  Text based but arrow oriented (sound good?).  And
> >since it would be a more advanced OS it could include a basic library of
> >functions that are now commonly used in ZS programs (ie. Sound rutines,
> >sprite ruitines, maybe more support for different I/O devices like the
> >RAM Expander) stuff that would cut down on the size of ZS programs.
> >Then compatability?  Make a ZS (normal ZS) program that would add in
> >those calls into the program so normal ZS could handle it.  This would
> >take some work, but it would be really cool!
> >
> Tell Mel, he's the one developing the software right now...my question tho,
> is will the module serve as a solid state tape backup-drive or as a fully
> functional RAM extension? i.e.; will I be able to run progs directly from
> the chip or will I have to copy them to the calc first?

You'll have to copy them.  We've been through this before, and the link
port only transfers at 9600 bps.  This is slow compared to the z80.  So
unless you want really slow programs (opposite of TI-users dream:), you
can't.  This also brings up the problem of fragments on the extender and
memory blocks.  which I think Mel is considering right now.  Think of the
memory as a floppy dixk, to run stuff off a floppy, it needs to be put in
the ram first.

> Nate
> Listen...this is now, this is here, this is me.
> This is what I wanted you to see. - R.E.M., "So Fast, So Numb"
>
> Visit my nifty homepage! http://www.ime.net/~pamelnat
> Nate's R.E.M. Page: http://www.ime.net/~pamelnat/rem.html
> This is Nate, signing off...

<pre>