Re: LZ: Re: RAM EXPANDER IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT --

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

On Wed, 16 Oct 1996 22:04:38 -0600, you wrote:
>Yes, thank you.  I meant the bi-directional parallel ports that come =
with
>the new cards (16450 serial UART =3D old card and 16550 serial UART =3D =
new
>cards).  Also, would the turboed TI-85s be able to come close to that =
super
>speed (60kb/s)?

Well, with the synchronous design on a regular calculator, it's
possible to send/receive a bit in about 45 T states.  This translates
into about 4.5 microseconds per bit.  If my calculations are correct,
this is a raw data rate of 222 kilobits/second!!!  Now, this is no way
realistic, because there will not only be large software slowdowns,
but the chip has page read/write setup times of 400 to 5000 us per
page, so the real data rate will be MUCH less.  I'm actually not sure
what the data rate will be on regular or turbo calcs, but both should
be higher 60 kilobits/s.  The upper limit on the chip, however, is
around 500 to 1000 kilobits/s!!!

-Mel

<pre>
--