Re: LZ: Re: A few questions, a few comments, blahb

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: Re: A few questions, a few comments, blahb

> Hello?  I put out a proposition, so read that.
>
> "Canada has no national identity other than our strongest policy:
> multiculturalism"
> -= Zenon@bbs.nexes.com =-

I meant the specifics.  From what you were saying, it sounded like
you wanted to load each instruction straight from the expander.  This
is impossible because:

  (1) It is too slow.  Instructions are executed much faster (I
think a few hundred instructions per second, but correct me if I'm
wrong.) than the link port can handle (a few thousand bytes per
second).

  (2) It is not possible to snag the attention of the processor after
each instruction, except to add a wire inside.  Even if this was
done, the processor would be forced to run at the speed of the link
port (see above).

  (3) Some other reasons I can't think of. :)

I think the general concensus (sp?) -- including Mel -- has been that
we would load segments of the program into memory, execute those, and
load new ones when necessary.  As a block transfer, it would be _much_
more efficient.  That might have been what you proposed, and if so,
sorry, but I didn't understand your proposition. :)

Ben
shakal@ns.net

Follow-Ups: References: