Re: LZ: Project Status Update: THE RAM EXPANDER WORKS!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

On Wed, 09 Oct 1996 15:06:50 -0800, you wrote:

>How much are the total RAM expanders going to cost?  Are you going to=20
>make and sell them or are we going to make them?  Do they hook up to the=
=20
>port, or do they build into the calculator?  How much do the chips and=20
>all cost?  I'm so excited!!!!  Now I will be able to hold every ZShell=20
>program ever made!!!!!

Since the chips are pretty expensive, I won't be able to "stockpile"
them and make a whole bunch at once.  Therefore, if you feel that
you're up to the task, you can probably squeak one out yourself.  It
won't be easy (especially if you've never made a pcboard or soldered
anything before), but it's definitely feasable. =20

Nonetheless, once everything (especially the software) is done, I'll
start to build a few of these and sell them.  The number will be
limited, but I'll try to keep up with demand. =20

I'm not sure if I can find the 1 meg chips.  I know that Gerber
electronics sells the 512k chip for about $18, but they don't have the
1 meg version listed.  However, when you go to their "price quote"
system, they have the 1 meg chips listed, so I'm assuming they are
either a) not listing the chip in their inventory, or b) they plan on
selling it sometime in the future, but not right now, or c) they can
get it on special order.  I'll just wait and see.  If someone really
wants to help me, call up National Semiconductor and get a list of all
suppliers/distributers that sell the 1 meg chip!  I've searched their
distributer list, and none of them listed have it (at least none of
the ones with their own web page). =20

Most of the information you requested is on my page (see below).
However, as soon as I get some time I'll make up a "TI Memory
Expansion FAQ" that will answer most anyone's questions.  That will
probably be in a week or so.

-Mel

<pre>
--