Re: LZ: Re: RE: Daedalus 3D Raycasting Engine

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: Re: RE: Daedalus 3D Raycasting Engine

Eric Barker (rbarker@polarnet.com)

> Zenon Lynx wrote:
>
> GREAT!!!  Now we have supporters for the RAM expansion unit!!!  YESSS!  I
> was proposing the Mel Tsai that someone would make an engine or more of an
> intersection that takes care of collecting information (sending and
> recieving through the link port by continaing the program address within
> the expander in the engine itself, forming a reference station that all
> programs go through, using expansion or not...well, maybe just the ones
> using expansion, but then that would have to be all future ZShell games) so
> that the expander could be used as ram EXTENSION rather than expansion.  I
> hope that Mel will get it working soon; I've been discussing my ideas with
> him.  But if it does work and someone is willing to create this RAM Bridger
> then we will all be in heaven!!  And, of course, then, you can make a level
> editor for the calc as large and complicated as you want!!!  LET"S GET MORE
> SUPPORT FOR THE RAM EXTENDER!!! (not ram expander!)  :-)

I'd like to see the plans for this ram extender when it's completed.  Is
it something big and complex that I'd have to build into my calculator
(then I'd look like a real geek!), or will it be like something I link
through the port?

> :       Yeah, its in the works now.  The engine won't be like DOOM -- more like
> Wolfenstein 3-D.  I am now experimenting with grayscale (Andraes Ess is
> helping me).  I plan on eventually making Daedalus into a full "engine,"
> like Caves, or Scrolls.  This will include the ability to define your own
> textures, levels, badguys, etc.  I'm still debating whether I am going to
> make the level editor on the calculator or not.
> :       I would definately like to make use of the new Memory Expander as part
> of my game (to be switched off with the link port for multiplayer games),
> since, with all these levels, the game size will really rise!  So, to the
> person who is developing it, we, Zshell programmers, are waiting for your
> documentation, so we can start developing for your chip!

If you get this worked out, with the ram Extension and all, you can make
the engine more like doom (I'm guessing it's psuedo 3D right now?), that
would rock.  Beware, that the current version of daedalus is quite slow,
and that versions with enemies, guns, ech... would slow the game down.
There is nothing worse than a super slow 3d raycasting engine, then
things start to look like TI-Basic doom (icky!).

                *  "Sir, can you help me?  I oiled my  *
                *    hard drive twice this weak and    *
                *   it's still making funny noises."   *
                *           --fellow Polarnet user     *