Re: LZ: Programming cells?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: Programming cells?

According to "Mike Johnson":
>How would one go about programming cells in asm similar to C++?  If you
>don't know what I'm talking about please continue reading. An example
>would be Scroll or Caves where a small graphic (8*8) and then repeated
>several times around the screen to create walls and then a door or an
>enemy could be placed into a cell similarily.  I would try to figure this
>out myself but there is no similar code (Hint, Hint, realses the source to
>Caves!!)  Any help would be greatly apreciated.
>
>graphic=1
>
>screen=  1111111111111	<-Get the idea?
>	  1   1	1        11
>	  1       11      111
>	  1111111111111
>					Mike Johnson
>					V.P., The Curly Corp.   (tm)
>					MJ11749@cedarnet.org

Hello Mike,

        I think the term you mean instead of cell is sprite.

        There are two ways to do this.  The first involves staying in text
mode, and in my mind isn't worth it.  The other way is to use a sprite
routine ( I would reccommend NASR by Jingyang Xu ).  The pros and cons:

        Text mode:
                Pros: less memory taken up, fast
                Cons: no smooth scrolling, pain to program

        Graphic mode:
                Pros: smooth-scrolling sprites, more able, fast
                Cons: program is larger, have to understand routines well to use

        It's really your call, but I would say go with NASR and just put it
around that way.

Hope this helps,
Ryan Myers ( rmyers@teleport.com )
http://www.teleport.com/~rmyers/
"Canthus" or "Darren" on DARKWORLD / Twisted Fate