Re: LZ: f-term

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: f-term

>>Well, actually, I was thinking as a portable way to access your internet
>>account... but I'm not sure I'm thinking along the same lines as the rest
>>of the group...
>>--
>
>A real TCP/IP "winsock", however, would be extremely difficult on the
>'92.  It would only work if your internet provider had a text based
>interface (like lynx or a text based email system that doesn't require
>PPP/POP/SLIP/SLURP or whatever).  I know that on some of the palmtop
>PC's (like the HP200LX), Nettamer can barely handle a PPP connection
>with a 400k program on an 80186 (close to the power of the 68000, but
>a whole lot more memory).  But, I'm hoping someone can prove me
>wrong...:)

Well, my ISP _does_ have UNIX access (complete! no menus!) which would work,
but I was thinking (dreaming?).  I'm not sure I'm very founded in this
thinking, but this would look totally awesome to some unknowing bystander..:^)

It's already possible to connect to the shell part of the system (using
F-Term.  I'm going to assume that it's possible to create a Z-Term in the
future).  Would it be possible to steal some of the code and set up a
Netskape (don't laugh) type of shell?  Yes, yes, you need a PPP connection
to use N-Skape, but this would only LOOK like N(et)S(kape).  HOW IT WORKS:

It dials up your ISP.
Uses FTP (whatevers most efficient.  I'm going for the idea, not the
  execution.  That's what all the bright ppl are here for..:^) to download
  the files to (either the server or the calc.  i dunno).
 As for pics, it downloads the to the server, has the SERVER run a prog that
 will convert them to a 92/85 pic format, and then retrieves THAT.

OK.  Does that make sense?  Is it possible?  Have I just made simple
something that all of you have been talking about all along?  What?

>One option (that's much easier) that would be nice in successive
>versions of z/f-term is vt-100 emulation, or maybe even ANSI
>compatability (for the 1 or 2 people left on this earth who still use
>local BBS's...just kidding).

Sorry, but I need a translation.  Yes, I suck, but oh well.  I have good
ideas.  I think.  (I hope..:^)

<pre>
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
							     -Albert Einstein
</pre>