Re: LZ: RS-232 & RS-422 Standards

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: RS-232 & RS-422 Standards

> No. What I meant is that the Mac OS and serial hardware handle the ports,
> meaning that applications cannot manipulate the individual lines on the
> port directly. The only link cable that is capable of turning RS-232 into
> TI protocol is the TI GRAPH-LINK. Homebuilt links rely on the ability to
> manipulate the signalling lines of the serial port directly. Macs do not
> allow this (to my knowledge). This does not matter for standard RS-232
> equipment, but it makes it impossible to use unsophisticated hacks like
> the "$4" serial port link.

  Ah, but is it the ONLY cable that can?  I don't know; it depends on how
much the standards differ.  You have a point that the $4 link almost
certainly won't work with any sort of adapter.  So my problem becomes:
How do I make an adapter?
  Evidently some people out there are familiar enough with the standards
to have made these links in the first place; if those people could say
where they got the information, it would help A LOT.

  Thanks.

                     /***********************************
                     *           Daniel Knapp           *
                     *       FeatherWate Software       *