Re: LZ: On how to...

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: On how to...

barrym wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Sep 1996, Someone wrote:
>
> >         Ok.  This is how I'm seeing things.  ALL you _very_ bright people
> > who can write assembly language have made some attempt at explaination.
> > I've tried to read alot of the explainations, but they all seem to jump into
> > the topic instead of building a framework on which to hang ideas & concepts.
> > It's like putting up the drywall of a house first, then inserting the
> > timbers to keep it sturdy.  If any of you could explain on what concepts a
> > ZS prog is based (i.e. A ti-basic prog is based on loops (goto,lbl) and
> > commands within those loops, while a ZS prog is based on... ??????), the 25
> > of you who could program in ZS would become 26.
>
> It's a fair question but it's based on a missunderstanding,
> I think.  You have to supply the timber.  That's not an easy
> task but its the only way you can learn it.  If you don't
> learn assembly yourself no-one can explain it to you.  All
> anyone else can do is give you a little help along the way.
>
> As for what is assembly based on, its pretty much the same
> as basic.  Basic, and all programming languages, borrow ideas
> like loops and gotos and labels (variables, etc) from assembly.
> What basic does is handle a lot of the details for you.
>
> Barry

Yeah, that's how I learned assembly.  I wasn't on this list cause my
modem was pitiful then.  Just download lots of documents on zshell and
assembly.  I have a whole directory for reference with about 12 text
files.  Some good ones are:

TI-ram.txt
the file with all the rom_call's(I think it's zsfnlib.txt)
z80.txt with all the processor commands
zshell.doc that came with zshell40.zip
A windows help file to explain everything about assembly(forgot the name)

You can find all of these at http://www.ticalc.org , duh...  After you
look at all of those, keep them for reference, and look at source code
from some simple programs.  Then...write your own small program to
display something on the screen.  Continue looking at source code and the
 reference files while you experiment more.  Have Fun!
 Questions?, ask this list or on IRC #calc-ti, there's usually someone
there who is knowledgable.

<pre>
--
Compliments of: