LZ: Talk-85 fix for Zshell Modem

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

At 18:11 11-16-96 -0800, you wrote:
>Andrew Haninger wrote:
>>
>> > Talk85 or Zterm or Fterm with the proper setup, and you might just get
>> Zterm? I thought nothing existed. is there one in the works?
>
>It doesn't right now, but  someone might be working on it out there, it's
>a hot item.  Talk85 connects, but it doesn't use CR, but LF, I heard.  So
>really, all someone needs to do is get rid of the split screen and get
>the CR thing fixed.  I don't think the source for talk85 is out, so it
>would need to be made frm scratch, but Branislav Bozgai (sp) is the
>author.

Instead of trying to change the source code of Talk85, you could change the
modem's S-register #3, which stores the carriage return (CR) character, to
the line feed (LF) character. To do this, execute the following:

1. Hook the external modem to your computer.
2. Run a terminal program and type the following command: ATS3=10 S4=13
3. Connect the modem to your calc via Graph-Link and null modem cable.
4. Run Talk85 and everything should be spiffy, with Enter working as
carriage return.

Here's technical BS explaining why this works (from my USR Manual)

S-registers control modem setup defaults. The default setting for carriage
return is stored in S-register #3 as the ASCII code 13. The ASCII code for
Line Feed is 10, stored in S-register #4. By switching S-register #3 and #4,
you in effect switch the CR and LF characters, thus letting Enter serve as
CR instead of LF.

Since I own neiter and external modem, Graphlink-85, or a null cable, I
can't test this, but from what I know about modem commands, it ought to
work. Someone please try it ant tell me if it works or not.
Listen...this is now, this is here, this is me.
This is what I wanted you to see. - R.E.M., "So Fast, So Numb"

Visit my nifty homepage! http://www.ime.net/~pamelnat
Nate's R.E.M. Page: http://www.ime.net/~pamelnat/rem.html
This is Nate, signing off...