Re: LZ: Daedulas v 0.2b

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: Daedulas v 0.2b

> > Let me start off by saying that Daedulas is very, very, impressive.
> > But I have one concern.  The TI-85 is a calculator, not a computer.
> > I would be elated if the whole grayscale deal was eliminated from
> > the program.  The plain walls which were in the Labby program are
> > more than enough for my tastes.  Not to mention by using them,
> > maybe 3 or 4k would be trimmed from the existing program, as well
> > as making the engine loads faster.  Now of course, I don't know how
> > much grayscale and whatever will be needed for the sprites, although
> > no matter what, plain, white, walls would still be appropriate, and
> > desired.
>
> I think I would have to disagree with you here...  I would normally
> go for the performance aspect of it, but if you try Daedulas in
> grayscale and then in two colors, you will notice that it is much
> better with grayscale.  And if you have a turbo'd calc, it runs
> plenty fast enough.

Well, unfortunately, I haven't the electronic knowledge to without worry,
solder things onto my calculator board.  But aside from that, of course it
looks better in greyscale!  The textures without it suck.  But, a plain
white wall would be just fine.  Also, There is more that just the concern
of performance that makes me say no greyscale... adding the grayscale adds
I'm sure, at least 2-3 thousand bytes to the program, not to mention the 3k
that needs to be further allocated.  But again, when it is run in greyscale
it is amazing.  Which is why, I think, as has been suggested, there should
be two versions.  A full, with greyscale, and a lite, with plain, white
walls.

Brian Peterik
bpeterik@ntsource.com