Re: LZ: Ti-H:RF Link for chatting.

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: Ti-H:RF Link for chatting.

Or you could use a token ring idea, but that may be too slow...

"This is the most logical route, Captain"
-= Zenon@bbs.nexes.com =-

----------
: From: list-zshell@lists.ticalc.org
: To: Zenon
: Subject: Re: LZ: Ti-H:RF Link for chatting.
: Date: November 4, 1996 9:10 PM
:
:
: bdavis@Fair.Net wrote:
: > >My solution would be a switch to exchange the frequencies on one of
the
: > >calculators, that would bring us to the first example. If anybody has
: > >better idea, please tell me so.
: >
: > That sounds just fine.  You could have a small toggle swith or whatever
: > change between "Channel" 1 or 2.
:
: I dissagree.  While for now only 2 calcs can talk to each other you
: don't want 2 pairs of RF links conflicting with one anther.  You can't
: just have a calc 1/calc 2 switch.  You need to let the user decide the
: frequencies, just like you don't want 2 people on a network to have the
: same network username.
:
: > >This link could of course only be used in pairs.
:
: I dissagree here too.  Each link can be exactly the same if you let the
: user decide the frequencies.  Have 2 nobs on each link: one for
: recieving and one for transmiting.
:
: > Why?  Why couldn't you have one transmitter and a million receievers.
As
: > long as the frequencies match for sending and receieving shouldn't one
box
: > be able to talk to a bunch of boxes... kinda like the transmitter is
the
: > radio station and everyone else is the little radio in their car?  I am
: > slightly electrical illiterate, but I don't see why only two people can
chat.
: >
: > Ben
:
: Wait a minute, this works fine if your using the calc as a reciever
: only.  But rairly does this ever occur.  Look at this chart.
:
:            -------------------- Calc A ---------------------
:            |          |           |            |           |
:            |          |           |            |           |
:            |          |           |            |           |
:          Calc 1     Calc 2      Calc B      Calc 3      Calc 4
:
: Calc A is sending and Calc B is the one supposed to be recieving.  Calcs
: 1-4 are also recieving, this is fine.  But what happens when Calcs 1-4
: are sending, Calc A gets 4 different responses that it "thinks" are from
: calc B.  This would also make calcs 1-4 conflict with each other.
: Unless you have 2 recieving frequencies, there is no way of having more
: than two calcs linked unless......
:
: You do what a modem does (I think) which is to with every data set sent
: out have a flag on the front that tells where its from.  With this, calc
: A would know which calc was sending.  This is a very good method for a
: number of reasons.  You can put as many calcs as you want on one
: frequency.  Since this is only one, you can make all links have a fixed
: frequency.  You can string 5 calcs together as easily as you can string
: 2 calcs together.  The down sides to this is that the location flag
: takes up time and might get cluttered with other incoming data.  Also
: programs would have to be specially made to except multiple (more than
: two) data recievings.  This might be the better way to go though.
:
: Eric B.