Re: LZ: ColecoVision >> ZShell

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: ColecoVision >> ZShell

list-zshell@defiant.rbk.sollentuna.se wrote:

> Matt Hayden wrote:
> >
> > Just wondering... I'm not real big into technical stuff, so I wouldn't know.
> > I was taking a look at the ColecoVision (for those of you that dont know, it
> > was the pre-Nintendo home game system) hardware specs, and saw a striking
> > resembelence to the TI-85... Here's the spec list:
> >
> >              Resolution: 256 x 192
> >                     CPU: Z-80A
> >                    Bits: 8
> >                   Speed: 3.58 MHz
> >                     RAM: 8K
> >               Video RAM: 16K (8x4116)
> > Video Display Processor: Texas Instruments TMS9928A
> >                 Sprites: 32
> >                  Colors: 16
> >                   Sound: Texas Instruments SN76489AN; 3 tone channels, 1 noise
> >           Cartridge ROM: 8K/16K/24K/32K
> >
> > I just noticed the CPU (The Z80), the Speed (dont remember the exact speed
> > of TI85), the RAM (8k, the TI has it), Display Processor is a TI hardware
> > (doubt that matters), Sound is the TI hardware (3 tones, 1 noise), and the
> > ROM is fairly small... Just wondering if it would be possible to port a few
> > ColecoVision games to the TI85? The ROMs are out there in abundance, if its
> > possible, I think it'd be great.
> One question how do you propose to get the code out of the cartridge?
> PCoMP
> Check out Maximus Productions home page at:
> http://www.ntsource.com/~pcompYou could always just make a simple circuit to apply the address bus
consecutively and read the output on the data lines... However, since the
games are in rom, you can put a lot more on a rom chip (code and data
wise) than on the ti. keep in mind that if you did port a game, it would
have to fit within the ti-85's 22k memory limit (youre saying that the
system has 8k of memory, so 8k would have to be reserved for ram.

<pre>
--

--Steve
s_wrobleski@foma.wsc.mass.edu