LZ: 3 ASM questions

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

LZ: 3 ASM questions

OK, I've finally concluded that summer school pre-calc is boring (after 4
weeks).  So I've decided to write some asm programs (by hand) in class.

1) I've been able to make the basic playing field (just a bunch of boxes
made by lines with Magnus's Plot point routine) and wait for enter to be
pressed.  I tried adding some text like this:

	[a bunch of lines being drawn}

	text:
		ld hl,$140A
		ld ($8333),hl
		ld hl, (PROGRAM_ADDR)
		ld de, words
		add hl,de
		ROM_CALL(D_ZM_STR)
	key:
		call GET_KEY
		cp $9
		ret z
		jr key

	words:	.db "Press enter",0

	.end

It compiles OK, but the text looks like garbage.  My screen was set to
graphics (ld a,4 then out (5),a) and everything else runs fine.  I don't
know what's wrong.

2) When do I need the $ in front of a number ($564A rather than 564A)?

3) Let's say I have a picture-like thing stored as a bunch of .db $00
etc.  How would I display it, for example, at location y=20, x=10?

Well, thanks for the help.  I have a lot of time on my hands so if all
goes well, I should have this out by the end of summer, or the end of
October, or the end of the year...

  _  _  /--
 / \/ \/  -camels@juno.com
-======   -formerly cwang@pacx.com