Re: LZ: Teleconferece

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: Teleconferece

<<
 This whole "teleconference" thing is a useless and impractical idea, as
 demonstrated by this reply. It will NEVER happen on the TI-85. And you can
 quote me.   jadema@grfn.org

OK, we WILL quote you!  I think it CAN work!

I've been on this list for over six months, but this is the first time I am
joining in any conversations, because I finally understand what is going on!
 (Sort of...)

I believe that the "polling method" is the best way to make it work.  The
problem (as pointed out by someone) would be logging onto the
"Teleconference."  My idea is this:  everyone who will be in the conference
will first get together and assign each calc a different number.  These
numbers could be kept for use in later chat sessions if it is with the same
group of friends (it could be stored in the program string).  Then, when
someone wants to start a teleconference, they use their calc to become the
"master / server" calc.  Then, that calc would cycle through each of the
numbers (1-10 or 1-25 ... etc...  the more numbers to check, the slower the
system) and ask any calc with that number if it has anything to say.  If a
calc with a certain number is not present, so what!  The server just skips
it!  If that calc joins later, it can easily become part of the conversation!

Any calc could sent in a name (at any time) that it would like to be called
by, and the server would inform all of the other (present) calcs to put that
name in front of any future messages from that calc.  This would stop the
messy process of sending a "screen name" with every message--the server would
only know each calc by its number.

This software would not be all that big (I believe!) and could be used with
any linking system (RT link, IR link,  satalite up-link :) ... even the plain
connector cable (only 2 talking, of course!))

The biggest challenge in this is the cooperation of all people involved.  If
someone wanted to, he could just send random data out of his port and it
would screw up the whole teleconference.  So that is a big consideration.

I would be happy to program this... but don't expect it anytime soon, because
I am learning ASM as we speak!

Seth Jentner
Oo7goldeni@aol.com  <---- YES!  AND PROUD OF IT!