Re: LZ: a link idea

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: a link idea

On Mon, 15 Jul 1996, Marc Heikens wrote:

> Date: Mon, 15 Jul 1996 00:06:10 -0700
> From: Marc Heikens <kheikens@3-cities.com>
> To: list-zshell@defiant.rbk.sollentuna.se
> Subject: Re: LZ: a link idea
>
> >The Timex DataLink wrist watch has a way of transfering data from the
> >computer to the watch.  I believe that this method of data transfer would
> >be possible for the 85.  The program for the watch flashes a series of
> >barcodes on the monotor, the watch has a light sensitive "eye."  If the
> >hardware experts on this list could make an "eye" attachment that would
> >stick in the port of the calculator that would transform the light pulses
> >into data for the calculator, then this might be possible.  Also, if
> >someone could get their hands on the Timex program mentioned above, it
> >shouldn't be to hard to manipulate for our purposes.
> >
> >This whole idea may be completely impractical, but if we're considering
> >teleconf, this shouldn't be too hard.
> >
> >Zach Hughes (CyberTek Games)
>

> The problem with this approach is that using the "eye" the chatters would
> have to be in the same room, somehow with each calc "looking" at every
> other.
>
> BTW, one of my friends has the timex program...
>
> -----
> Marc Heikens
> kheikens@3-cities.com

I'm not implying that this would be useful for teleconf.  I just see it
as an alternative to a link cable.  This would also free up port on your
computer.  (I have a friend who can't link to his computer because he is
out of free ports.) I think that this is worth investigating.

Zach Hughes (CyberTek Games)