LZ: An unzindexed (I think) call...

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

LZ: An unzindexed (I think) call...

The D_MENU rom call got me browsing through TI-ROM.TXT, and I found that the
beginning had all of the fixed calls (eg. call GET_KEY, call LD_HL_MHL, etc.).
There was one call that interested me:

---- RST 10 (CALL 2715) ---- Search for variable by name --------------------
Input:  (8082) = Variable type to find
        (8083) = Length of variable name (1-8)
        (8084) = Actual name of variable (8 bytes long, padded with anything)

Result: Success: CF clear
                 A = (8082) = Type of the variable found
                 C = 0
                 DE = Address of variable
                 HL = Address of VAT entry for variable

        Failure: CF set

That would make it really easy to have libraries, or engines, or
not-always-needed data files, or access to REALs. I'd think it would be very
useful. I couldn't find an index for it in ZShell! Of the 20(?) calls, this
wasn't indexed OR listed! I tried to get it to work myself. RST $10 was
coughed back by TASM, and call $2715 was coughed back by ZShell. I opened up
my DASMed ROM 9, and dumped and DASMed my ROM 10, and at address  $10 (call
$10), and there was an index to a call near $2715. I compared this with other
calls, and for this beginning section, the calls are $2nnn-4D for 9, and
$2nnn-33 for 10. Calling $10 worked and I managed to have it locate the
description text of UM. This could be quite handyl.
Questions:
1) Why isn't it listed?
2) Will call $10 work for all rom versions?
3) Why was UM's description offset by a few bytes (5, I think) from the
address given by call $10? The .org 0?
4) Is there an easier and/or more compact way to get the address of a variable
(and optionally it's VAT entry)?
5) DASM sometimes gives me the command RST $nn. Why won't TASM accept that?
6) Is there anywhere I could download a dump of ROM 3.0a? (I already have an
85 with ROM 10)
7) Did I just make a huge fool out of myself?
THANKS!!!

--MZB (micahbro@msn.com)