Re: LZ: Self Encrypting Programs

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Michael Wyman wrote:

> I had a thought a while ago, about making a program self encrypting (and
> decrypting) so that while the program is running, the code is decrypted and
> in the actual opcodes.  When the program exits, it encrypts itself, thereby
> making it virtually impossible to decompile unless somebody has a lot of
> time on their hands, as well as hiding the location of variables
> (passwords and such).  Tell me what you think!

Way waste that time?  Encryption is mostly used for if you don't want
people to get there hands on your code.  I don't know about you, but
probably 75% of all the ZShell programmers are at this list or ZS-Adv.
We shouldn't have to worry about "stealing" other peoples stuff.  If
we start to have problems, then it might become neccessary.  But
ZShell has been going on for a couple years now without any major
problems.  For one thing, new people may find it helpfull to look at
other peoples code to see what they've done.

Eric Barker

Follow-Ups: References: