Re: LZ: get more ram?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: get more ram?

Steve Wrobleski wrote:

> list-zshell@lists.ticalc.org wrote:
> >
> > At 4:47 PM on 8/30/96, Michael Berry wrote:
> >
> > > Do you think there is any way to add ram to the ti-85 via the link port.
> > > Possibly someone could develop plans for an external ram source that plugs
> > > into the link port.  It might take a lot of tricky asm programming to get
> > > the ti to read from the port.  If it was possible it could add a whole new
> > > realm of possibilities to ti programming.
> >
> > I have a short story related to memory upgrading.
> >
> > There is a sophomore at my high school who has done many hardware upgrades
> > to his TI-85. I don't doubt his expertise at electronics-he has a turbo
> > switch and is an ham radio operator. Today he told me he upgraded his
> > memory by adding a chip. I didn't catch how he did it but he used the word
> > "parallel". There was nothing on the link port. On examining his
> > calculator, there was a string variable named "B" with a size of about 50
> > K. This is where the extra memory was. He said a assembly program could
> > access this memory.
> >
> > "Great," you say. "So how did he do it?"
> >
> > That's the problem. This kid is a little wierd. He has his calculator
> > password-protected so nobody "steals" his games. He also says he
> > "link-locks" his programs so they can't be copied. To put it simply, his
> > line of thinking is the opposite of a classic "hacker"--he HATES the "free
> > flow of information." He wants to charge for everything, and he has no
> > intention of supplying information on his memory upgrade. Incidentally, he
> > also plans to make a working wireless link "just for himself."
> >
> > Anyways, if this is for real, someone else may want to look into this more.
> > Can this memory be used for something? He wasn't using it when I looked at
> > his calc, he just said it COULD be used.
> >
> > On the other hand, he could have put one over on me with a fake memory
> > screen of something. Thins was my inital instinct, being the cynical person
> > that I am.
> >
> > Any thoughts?

Uh.....would that variable B be 51979 bytes, exactly?  If so, that's
BullSh*t.  It's a bug with the 85...here's how you can add your very own
"50k RAM chip".

enter this on the home screen:

 A=E  		(note that this E is the small E achieved with the EE key)
 Eq>St(A,A)
 sub(A,2,1)->A
 St>Eq(A,A)
 ""->B
 Eq>St(A,A)

Now go to MEM->DELETE

WOW!!! B is now a variable taking up 51979 bytes!!

> >  ____________________________________
> > /\                                   \
> > \ \  Jordan Adema                O-   \       A student who changes the
> >  \ \  jadema@grfn.org                  \         course of history is
> >   \ \  http://www.calvin.edu/~sadema21/ \      probably taking an exam.
> >    \ \___________________________________\
> >     \/___________________________________/
>
> Yeah, um. It can be done of course. But in order to have a var named B,
> you need to burn a new rom. (hehe, sound fun anyone?) I suppose you could
> hack right into the bus of the calc. My question is, does he have
> anything on the outside of the calc? It would be pretty hard to put chips
> in the inside of the calc.
>
> Also, if you went through all that work, youd be pretty stupid to make
> the var named B. If i use B in my program, and he runs it, what happens?

<pre>
--
; Max Mansour  // mail : mmansour@gis.net
;             // irc : Justarius