Re: LZ: get more ram?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: get more ram?

list-zshell@lists.ticalc.org wrote:

> > Do you think there is any way to add ram to the ti-85 via the link port.
> > Possibly someone could develop plans for an external ram source that plugs
> > into the link port.  It might take a lot of tricky asm programming to get
> > the ti to read from the port.  If it was possible it could add a whole new
> > realm of possibilities to ti programming.
> Here is the problem with having external ram:
> 1.You have to have a power support for the ram at all times
> 2.most ram chips I have seen have many, many pins, making it hard for
> you write to them properly with only one or two output paths.
> 3. how will the RAM know how and when to send info to the TI?? You cant
> just stimulate ram to give you what you want...(women are a different
> story :)
> 4. you need the link port to recieve info from you computer, if you want
> extra ram, you can still only only get chunks of 32k at a time, forcing
> you to break up a 100k program, or whatever, into several chunks.
> 5. there are plenty of other reasons that I can't think of right now...
>
> With all due respect, these are just calculaters, don't get dillusions
> about what they can, or even need to do.
>
> -Chris

Ok, tell me this isnt possible...

I take a Z80 microprocessor, and i hook up ram to the thing. The ram is
divided into pages. (Actually, im wondering if ram or eeprom would be
better). I take a piece of rom for the bios for the thing. I make the Z80
constantly waiting for a byte from the calc, it gets a couple of bytes,
responds by sending the appropriate ram to the calc. Calc get the stuff
and stores it. Accidently reset your calc? Do an input "cblget",Gimme and
the bytes sent to the device would instruct it to wait say 15 seconds,
and then send a backup of the shell. Does that look impossible? No. Are
we ever going to have a program that is over 30k? No. 30k of code, do you
realize how big that is?!?! If we do have a program over 30k, we can use
overlays.