Re: LZ: Re: your mail

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: Re: your mail

Peter Cordes wrote:

> ENOUGH WITH ALL OF THE OPINIONS!!! Instead of making up opinions to
> answer the origional question that began this thread why doesn't
> somebody actually try making a program in TI-BASIC and then make the
> exact same program in assembler to see which one is smaller. Actually i
> will do this experiment my self and then post the results of my
> experiment here on List-ZShell.

This "experiment" will have no valid relevence, as I could make a
TI-BASIC program which made a bunch of Gotos, and the outputed L on the
screen; then replicate that in ZShell smaller + faster.

BUT, I could also make a TI-B program which had lots + lots of
mathmatics, with function graphing, sqroots, etc...  and it would be
huge, it *might* fit in the 28k of RAM, but it would still be big +
slow.

OK...I just completed your experiment.

TI-BASIC program:

divide 1598923 by 7732224, and output the results to the screen, to the
11th decimal:

1598923/7732224

Z80 ASM equivalent (sp?):

OK, I didn't asctually take the time to write it, but basically, you'd
need your divide routines, the you'd need to output i to the screen.
This would definatley be bigger.  Now you see how your experiment
doesn't work...some programs will translate differently then others.
BUT, there is one basic constant:  Z80 ASM programs will almost ALWAYS
be larger.  Think of it like a program in C++, and a program in Visual
Basic.  Now, VB programs will be small, because they are interpreted by
the VBRUN file.  Now a C++ program will always be larger, because it
needs to include all relevant libraries in the actual program.  TI-BASIC
program wil always be smaller, becasue they use routines stored
externally from the program.  As for speed, that would be decided on a
case by case basis  (altuogh C++ programs are almost always faster :).

> PCoMP
> Visit Maximus Productions home page at: http://www.ntsource.com/~pcomp

<pre>
--