Re: LZ:83 ASM

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ:83 ASM

list-zshell@lists.ticalc.org wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Aug 1996, Andy Selle wrote:
>
> > hahahhahahah.... my math teacher said the same thing.  I know why
> > they say that.  They have been trained to use the 82.  Now they see
> > the 83 and the like because hey it works the same (mostly).   They
> > don't want to have people making it difficult for them.  The 85 has
> > the superior mathematic functionality.  Thats why the TI-83 is not
> > the TI-86.  If you are willing to spend the miniscule amount of time
> > to learn the simple ti-85 OS (which in my opinion is 20000 times
> > better than the 82's) then the ti85 is right for you.  I for one am
> > going to stick to programming the 85 (until Mshell comes out and then
> > I'm going to do that too).  I think most of the developers will stick
> > to the 85.
>
> I suspect you are right, unless TI comes out with a version of the
> 85 that supports asm.  One thing they could do is promise to keep
> the important rom entry points in the same place.  Then future
> programs could be written with direct calls to rom.
>
> Barry

Yeah, here are some more things they could do...
Use the NMI pin of the Z80 to also serve as a break function. That way,
if you made a bug in an assembly program, it would be possible most of
the time to pull out.

Make it so that you can have an assembly program loaded at the same
address all the time. When the user ran it, the calc would rearrange the
memory so the start of the program was there. Would make things a LOT
easier somtimes. If for some reason the calc couldnt put the program at
the address, the program wouldnt run, or maybe it would be up to the
program to run or not (via setting A or something)

Make a reset button, which would reset the calc (via the !RESET pin).
When the calc was reset, it would start all over, but the memory wouldnt
be cleared.

Maybe put a connector in there directly on the bus (data, address, read,
write, mem/io, etc), with a punch out connector. It would say
explicitally on it that if you open this up, the warranty is void and you
can seriosly screw up your calculator. This would allow people who want
to make some kind of device to interface with the calc directly wired
into it instead of having to deal with the link port. For example, you
could attach an eprom and put programs that wouldnt need to be changed on
it (something like a Z80 assembler, etc).

<pre>
--

--Steve
s_wrobleski@foma.wsc.mass.edu