Re: LZ: Fractions

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: Fractions

At 11:52 PM 8/21/96 -0500, you wrote:
>The easiest way to divide by five is to first multiply the number by 2 and
then divide by 10.  An example is below.

>Assuming A is the number to divide by 5
>
>Start:
>	ld	l,a
>	ld	h,0
>	sla	l
>	rl	h	;multiply A by two and place in HL
>
>	ROM_CALL(UNPACK_HL)	;divides HL by 10 and stores decimal to A
>
>	;HL contains number divided by 5 and A contains the decimal part of number
in HL
>End:
>
>That's all there is to it.  I just found out how to do that today when I
had to write a routine to convert Celcius degrees to Farenheit.

>Ed Plese, Jr.
>(eplese@lnd.com)

The problem with this routine is that it won't work if you want to divide it
by 3, (or 7, or 9, or whatever). I'd need a generic routine. If there is no
generic routine, this would be a good idea, but I was hoping for a simple
routine that would work for most numbers. (Actually, I need to divide
numbers by 2, 3, 5, and 10, and maybe some others later).

David Kristensen at the University of Missouri - Kansas City
dkristensen@cctr.umkc.edu

The Mind conquers All...