Re: LZ: ZShell and Internet

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: ZShell and Internet

	Welp, I've been on and off this list for quite some time now, and haven't
really said much. But this particular topic has sparked my interest. Any
ways, I just thought that I would share my 10 cents with you people.
	First of all, I feel that the ethernet adapter stuff was pretty
interesting to read, but isn't really a good idea. This is because in order
to connect your calc to the ethernet thing, you have to have access to a
jack. Then, from that jack, you have to have wires running to your
calculator. I think it is rare that you ever find jacks, and if you do
happen to find one, not many people want to drag 50 feet of cable around
with them.
	Secondly, I want to share my thoughts on how we could POSSIBLY connect our
calculators to the internet. The problem with my plan though, is that it
would require working RT-links. The way the setup would go is that you
would have 1 of the RT-links connected to a parralell or serial port on you
computer at home. You would also, of course, have an RT-link connect to
your calculator. Now, you would be able to tranfer data from your computer
to calculator and vice versa. So what you do is you get your computer
connected to the internet through your ISP or whatever, and make some nifty
little programs for the computer that would read data from the internet and
translate it into binary so it could send it to the calculator. The
calculator would then have a program to receive the info and display it on
the lcd.
	For instance, you could make an irc program for your computer that would
do all of the work (formatting, etc) and basically send a stream of text to
the calculator. The stream of text would be a clone of what was being
displayed on the computer. This way, the only thing the calculator would
have to do is display the text it receives from its host, the computer. By
using this method, the program on the calculator would be quite small
(since basically all it is is a text viewer), yet would be quite powerful
(since the computer at home is doing all of the work). I feel that if we
ever get REAL working RT-links, this plan would be entirely feasible and
quite easy to accomplish. Of course the RT-links would have to be able to
transmit a fair distance. Hope you people understand what i'm trying to get
across to you.

-greg
gregb@serv01.net-link.net

ps. no flames about how the rt-links don't work or anything please

> From: SPARKY <sparky@elobservador.com>
> To: list-zshell@defiant.rbk.sollentuna.se
> Subject: Re: LZ: ZShell and Internet
> Date: Friday, August 02, 1996 10:19 PM
>
> This is iteresting!  DO you think that this could happen?  If so, please
> contact me immediately, at my email address.

Follow-Ups: References: