Re: LZ: variables

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: variables

On Wed, 31 Jul 1996, Rob Taylor wrote:

> No, they aren't really interrupts as such .. (you're thinking of interrupt mode
> 0, in which the peripheral will send an RST instruction to the
> processor) (I guess you coudl veiw tehm in teh same light as SWI's on
> later processors, but the Z80 doesn't actually treat RST's as
> interrupts, just calls)
>
> But you are quite right, they could do different things on different
> roms (remember kids, RST 10h = CALL $10, etc.)

What is the difference in treating it like an interrupt or a call?
They're both pretty much the same thing except for some incidental
details which vary from cpu to cpu.

Or do you mean that int mode 0 actually does treat it different, like
turning off further interrupts or pushing the flag register, etc?

The one thing all software interrupts have in common is that they
push the PC and begin execution at a pre-determined address.  Some
also push something else.  Some use indirection.  But the common
ingredients seem to include the Z80.  Is it just a question of
terminology or am I missing something?

Barry