[A83] Re: CRT (was SDCC port)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: CRT (was SDCC port)

At 10:47 PM 1/28/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 13:56:42 -0800, Aaron St.John wrote:
>
> > > Another ambitious idea: shared libraries. This would require its
> > > own shell of course.
> >
> > I considered teh idea of using a new shell, but I eventually decided
> > it wasn't needed.  There no reason why any program can't find the
> > library variable and either copy it so RAM or else simply jump right
> > into the location of the varaible (so long as the CRT only refers to
> > itself with relative jumps).
>
>Libraries are a hassle. Although a nice concept, it's annoying to have
>to go find another lib to get some program working.
>I once did it and was told to get rid of them.

Yeah.  Libs are a pain.  There is a generation of programs for the TI-89
that require a combination of libraries, with differing levels of support
for OS and hardware (damn the 89's hardware rev!) revisions.  The newer
generation of programs requiring no libs are much easier to deal with.  Of
course, the 89 has way more room to waste on redundant code, too.  Perhaps
you could do this:  When a program runs, it checks for other programs using
the libs.  If it finds one, it points itself to the program with the libs
and deletes its own set of the libs.  This leads to problems if you delete
the first program to be run on the calc, but allows you to include libs in
every program but only have one copy on-calc.

Follow-Ups: References: